What causes constipation?
For many people with constipation the cause isn't easily identified, but there are some recognised risk factors, including:
• Lack of dietary fibre
• Inadequate fluid intake or dehydration
• Lack of mobility or not enough exercise
• Certain medications (consult the corresponding medication's Patient Information Leaflet). It's important to talk to your doctor if you think your medication is causing side effects.
• Certain medical conditions
• Deliberately withholding or ignoring the urge to go to the toilet
• Stress and changes to routine